Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Wedding Planning Stage 2: The Venue

The venue. It is the space that sets the tone for your whole wedding. It is a way to express your style as a couple and one of the most important (and most expensive) parts of your big day. This blog was started because of my desire to have a place to go where all types of venues are  listed. For the next couple of entries I will review the places I visited and include information on the places I didn't. They will be in no particular order and I will post the most recent cost information I have for all of them. 

I am at the venue search stage in my wedding planning. I have given thought to all the other aspects but until you find your venue it is hard to work those things out. To date I have contacted about 50 or so venues in ME, NH, VT and MA. After factoring in cost, capacity and requirements I cut the list to about 20 that were contenders. The things that were important to me were the feel of the space, exclusivity and cost. We wanted to keep our reception at around $13,000 for 100 people. I also wanted a space that wasn't a cookie cutter ballroom but had a nice outside space for cocktails, pictures and a ceremony. I wanted a modern venue inside with clean lines and updated, but a homey feel at the same time. I knew I didn't want a tent or a barn. Finally, I didn't want to share my wedding space with another bridal party. I didn't even really like the idea of having my wedding at a place where they held one earlier in the day. So after cutting the list of 50 down to 20, we have visited 12 venues with about 5 more planned. The next post will feature The Crane Estate in Ipswich, MA. One that was very high on my list, until cost knocked it down a few pegs (but not off completely!).

No comments:

Post a Comment