Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, January 18, 2013

Asking all the right questions....


For the last 3 months I have been posting reviews about all of the venues that I looked at until I found "the one". I though that in addition to posting reviews I would also post questions that I think are important to ask when you go on venue tours. When I started out touring venues I expected them just to tell me everything but as I went on more tours I realized you really have to be up front in asking the questions to get the information you want. Listed below are a few categories and some related questions that should help you get a better idea about the venue you are looking at.

The Rental Space - it is important to know as much as you can about the physical space you are going to rent and what that requires. Here are a few key questions.
  1. What is the venue rental fee? What space does it include?
  2. Can I have my ceremony here? Is there an additional fee?
  3. How long is the rental? Does this include the ceremony time (if applicable)? Can I purchase overtime and a what rate?
  4. What is the maximum number of guests you can accommodate?
  5. What is the rain plan? (for either reception or ceremony)
  6. Are there limitations on decorations for the space?
The Food and Booze - The food and alcohol is important and usually the biggest cost associated with your reception. There are a million different ways venues handle, or don't, the food.
  1. Does your facility provide the food and alcohol? If not, are there restrictions on who can cater the event?
  2. What is the price per person for all of your food packages? What is the price per person for your open bar? What are included in the menu packages?
  3. Is there a price guarantee on my package pricing? Is there a maximum increase limit to the price?
  4. What alcohol options do we have? Open bar, cash bar, consumption based pricing? What variations of these can be done during the rental time?
  5. Is there a hard end time for alcohol service?
The General Stuff - This is the little stuff that can often slip through the cracks but is just as important to consider.
  1. Are there any additional fees (taxes, admin or service fee, cake cutting fee) that will be applied to my final bill? If so, what are they? Is gratuity included?
  2. Is there a day of coordinator and who will they be? What will their job be on the day of the wedding?
  3. Are there overnight accommodations for guests at the venue? If not, how close by are they and at what price points?
  4. Are there off season/day/time discounts? What is required to hold a date?
  5. Do you plan on doing any renovations near or before the time of the wedding? Will the be completed in time or will the facility look as you see it then?
  6. Are there any additional or unusual rules or guidelines we must follow during the rental? 
This is a short and general list but more complete lists can be found and the following links below.

No comments:

Post a Comment